Saturday, October 10, 2009

CDB2's "new to me" flat stick

For the past few weeks I have noticed that my YES Callie putter has not felt solid. When I tap the head of the putter on the green it's been making a clunky sound that has progressively gotten worse and worse. My putts sound a little off too, and with CBD1 getting better and better I can't afford to lose strokes because of a bum putter (at least that's what I am blaming it on).

I have been look for a few weeks for a PING putter. Everything from the new redwood line to the older anser and zing styles. I haven't really looked at any other brands, mostly because I love the PING history and their reputation for making high quality equipment. Plus, after getting my i10s and my G10 driver, I am staying consistent with my brands (it's like wearing puma socks with Nike shoes....it's just faux pas).

My search for a putter came to end earlier this week when I found a practically mint condition PING anser 4. This putter is not any anser 4. It's a BeCu (Beryllium Copper) putter, that they don't make anymore, and I think they are very cool. I purchased the putter on Ebay from a seller in Phoenix, and it showed up on my doorstep today! This is perfect timing for my round with CDB1 and Nate tomorrow at Lincoln West. I've been putting around all afternoon on my rug in the living room and have loved every minute of it. I had my wife take some pics, enjoy.

This just added (which makes me very happy). While doing some research, I found this:
The overwhelming majority of old, non-stainless steel Ping putters are made of a Manganese Bronze alloy (like battleship propellers). They are not Beryllium Copper. Ping did make a few BeCu and BeNi putters but far fewer than what you see for sale. Don't pay for premium metal that isn't. Unless it says BeCu on it, as the original Ping BeCu putters did, the only way to know for sure is to retumble the head and check the raw metal color. Assume that the putter is not really BeCu.
My putter came with the original grip that stated the head was made from BeCu :).






No comments:

Post a Comment