Monday, July 13, 2009

Earlywine, Fire(swamp)lake, and the Bird

Because we were a little late in starting the blog, we (you) have missed out on blogging about the last five months or so. I don't think we will write as much about every round as I did in the Coffee Creek post; probably only the really memorable ones. Not to say that something memorable doesn't happen every round, but we've got some catching up to do. Additionally, I would like to make/start a list of each course we've played and how many times, so be sure to watch for that!

After playing Coffee Creek in late January, we played at Earlywine in either late February or early March. For this round, our good friends Matt and Cody joined us. I don't really remember a whole lot from this round, outside of it being really, really, really windy. One of the only things I specifically remember was standing on the tee box of a really long par 3, probably 175 or something, with the wind blowing directly into our faces and our pants flapping in the wind behind us, Matt reaches down, picks up a handful of grass, and throws it into the air to check the wind. I can't remember if anyone else saw this, but it was pretty funny. I don't remember what anyone shot, but we were all probably right around 100. We also had a great time playing washers back at the house after. I think we played at Lakeside the next day too. I remember when we were talking Sunday morning about possibly playing that afternoon thinking that would be a lot of golf. Little did I know that in about two months we would be playing 45 holes in one day only because we wouldn't have enough daylight for 54.

The next round of CDB golf was actually scheduled to be played at Cherokee Hills in Tulsa/Catoosa. But because the east part of the state was engulfed in a freak snow storm. It was late March and we had about four or five inches in Tulsa when I left Saturday, but by the time I got to about Bristow there was hardly any snow. Trav kept telling me that there wasn't any snow in Moore, but I just didn't see how that was possible. I was wrong. Anyway, April was out of town until later that night so we went and ate sushi. On Sunday, for some reason we decided to drive to Firelake in Shawnee. It was the wettest, soupiest, most swamp-like course ever. They had three or four of the greens tarped because it was so wet, and they just cut the hole at the end of the fairway. There was even one hole (if you want to call it that) that had standing water on the "green." Again, I'm not really sure what we shot, but I think it was probably somewhere around 93-95. Because the course was in such bad shape, and probably because he just knew what CDB needed, Travis suggested that we could play the then unnamed, 9-hole, par 3 on our way home. The conversation went something like this: Travis: "Hey D, I don't know what your plan is, but..." D: "Trav, I have no Idea what you're about to say, but the answer is yes." Travis was, of course, going to suggest playing the Furry Bird. Needless to say, we were very impressed with the "Bird," especially after playing in soup at Firelake.



No comments:

Post a Comment