Friday, July 10, 2009

"Get Back In The Race"

This post is going to skip a lot of golf that we have not blogged about yet....but I felt it needed to be displayed now....maybe as a type of therapy, if nothing else. Derek has been experiencing "episodes" lately on the course. These episodes have been a rather new phenomenon, and seem to be affecting his game. There is a definite pattern to them. They always come after a few bad holes in a row that seem to be a result of the same type of mistakes. Whether it be fat approach shots or pulling shots with a cocked club face, if too many of these events happen in a row, then a frustrated Derek tends to breakdown.

The episode usually begins with asking me if I see what is wrong. As a faithful member to CDB I try and give an honest yet critical, informed (sorta) opinion of why this poor shot is happening. The second symptom of this episode is when my answer to his question is followed by a long sigh and somber head shake. This is when I start to get nervous.

The episode continues with D addressing the ball, with a long hesitation. Then, yet another sigh and head shake that turns into a stiff right turn to walk away and re-evaluate. From here it can get hairy.....Sometimes:

There is another question that has a 'can you believe this shit' type tone to it.

There could be up to 4 more failed attempts to address the ball.

There could be the occasional cluster of cuss words that seem to only raise the frustration level.

And, of course, there could be the ever so satisfying cliché, "I fucking hate golf..."

There really is no telling. Sometimes all of the above at the same time. All I know is, this is not conducive to a good round of golf.

The last time this happened was on the front 9 at Page Belcher in Tulsa. After a few discussions and reflections on the game, D was able to regain his composure, and round out with a 90. This tied his best score yet. Which leads me to believe that he is not playing as bad as he thinks he is.

We had a long discussion over our BlackBerry Messenger as I drove back to OKC. And as I was listening to "That's Life" by Mr. Sinatra, I realized the one line that I need to say to D when he is falling apart. Hence, "Get Back In The Race"! Inspiring words from the leader of the Rat Pack. I have yet to be able to use the line.....but I'm sure that time will come soon.

1 comment:

  1. I think you did a great job describing some of the difficulties I can, at times, have on the golf course. After reading certain parts of it, I had immediate flashbacks to the tee box on the par 3 seventeenth at Broadmoore. I can still vividly remember standing there with my trusty 7-iron, staring at my Titleist wondering why the hell I couldn't even address the ball without closing the club face. I don't remember how many times I had to step back from the ball, but I'm pretty sure I put at least two Pro V1s in the lake before I made it across. Also, I can still see Trav sitting in the cart below the tee box, hunched over the steering wheel laughing at CDB1. I think a lot of people would have been mad if their playing partner was laughing at them, especially in this situation. But, seeing/hearing Trav laugh at my inability to even address the ball made me realize how ridiculous this was. Anyway, in the two times we've played since Trav discovered the "That's Life" parallel, I have been episode-free! Thanks Trav!

    ReplyDelete