Thursday, July 15, 2010

Play Vintage!




Here at CDB, we like to have fun in all sorts of different ways. It seems we're always having some competition (CDBbucks), an ongoing inside joke (CDB, for one), and all kinds of different activities or events. Last summer we did the "Pink Shirt" thing (which was really a competition, an inside joke, and an activity combined) and the "Ugliest Golf Shirt" competition. It seems that one of this summer's activity is "Vintage Day." A few weeks ago, Travis had the brilliant idea that we should both buy an older (vintage) set of clubs and play a round or two with them. Of course, there are some people who want every technological advantage available when it comes to golf equipment, but CDB has a great love for the history of golf and an affinity for not only golf equipment throughout history but the culture, etiquette, and fashion. So this idea was something we definitely had to do. We both immediately started looking around for some older irons. Trav naturally lusted after some PING Eye2 irons and the first thing I searched for on eBay was "vintage Titleist irons." (This is not surprising because Trav currently plays some PING S57 irons and I play some Titleist AP1s.) Trav was able to find a good set of Eye2s on Craigslist and even talk the guy down, who had no idea what the clubs were worth. I bid on one of the first sets I saw on eBay, not really knowing what the hell I was bidding on; only that they were an old set of Titleist Tour Model irons. I soon found out that Titleist produced the "Tour Model" irons from 1979-1997, with different models coming out every one or two years. The set I won ($37.50 with shipping) were produced from 1982-1983. It is also important to note that PING introduced the Eye2 irons in 1982.

Because CDB likes to go all out, we'll both probably eventually have vintage everything (well, all that is somewhat practical that is). Additionally, Trav was able to find the PERFECT vintage PING bag and because his putter, Honey, is a PING BeCu Anser 4 he doesn't have to worry about finding a putter! I still haven't decided what vintag putter I would like, but I'm sure I'll find something pretty soon. I created the "Play Vintage!" postcard for a couple reasons; one, I just like creating graphics (especially CDB graphics!) and two, I was hoping to actually "mail" it to a few people. It's probably fairly safe to say that if you're reading this you can expect to receive something of that nature in the mail in the near future from CDB-East.

3 comments:

  1. D- I'm hoping you are going to post a kick ass D-esque story about vintage golf day....I think you have many fans waiting.

    ReplyDelete